Thursday, September 15, 2016

Living With Anxiety Part 2

Anxiety is hard. It's not all black and white and it can be overcome. Bear got outside last night. Bear who has just turned into a people loving cat.


This picture was taken probably about 5 minutes before he got out. My dog was making barfing noises and I took him outside so he wouldn't ruin anything in the house (he didn't end up getting sick) I walked him around for a bit and we went to go back inside. I open the door and bam! Bear is on the wrong side. I immediately panic. Bear was a feral cat and you could see in his eyes he remembered this place and loved it out here. I took out treats and shook them which usually works like a charm except when the cat has something more valuable, like freedom. I couldn't get near this cat who just fifteen minutes ago was loving me and wanting me to pet him constantly. I got our cat leash in case I could get close enough to grab him. The dog wouldn't stay inside and was eating all of my bait so I went to the next best thing and shut him in my car. He loves cars so he was happy while I was panicking. I was determined to get this cat back and at that moment because we have fisher cats (or bear weasels) that live in our backyard and they weren't taking another one of my pets. So initially my anxiety triggered a fight response. I called Pat still panicking and as my rock he told me to calm down and grab a blanket to see if I could cover him. Just a two minute phone call made me realize I needed to be cool and collected but still work fast. I noticed Bear was running circles around my car and not venturing further when I walked near him. I realized I just had to approach this a different way. I had to get him to go away from me instead of come to me. I quickly locked our other cat in the bedroom and chased Bear around the car and just as I predicted he ran straight into the house when the door was open. Saying I was relieved is an understatement. I've worked for months trying to get Bear to open up to humans and he finally loved us. He may have regressed some after last night but he's home safe. All I had to do was breathe and reevaluate.

Mackenzie

P.S. I didn't forget the dog in the car either.

P.P.S. Thanks Pat.

No comments:

Post a Comment